This roasted spicy peppers recipe is so simple! Pre-heat your oven (400 F, 205 C), grease your pan & peppers with a little bit of olive oil and roast until lightly browned – that’s it. Ideas for what to do with your peppers are below the picture.
Chapati is an unleavened Indian flatbread. It’s easy to make and delicious. This simple 4 ingredient recipe will work with wheat flour or a gluten free blend. You can use the bread as a sandwich wrap or serve it with any kind of meal. And it’s so easy! This recipe requires no prep, uses ingredients you probably already have and provides a hot, fresh and home cooked bread in a matter of minutes. It’s a healthy, homemade version, so serve only while fresh:)
Apples are healthy, cashews are healthy, but sexy . . . not so much. Simply arranging your apples in a colorful circle around cashews can make them much more appealing! Choose different varieties of apples for the best colors and go organic so you can leave the skin on. Go with lightly salted cashews and satisfy the sweet & salty without turning to nutrient-void snacks!
Broccoli, cheese, mushrooms and quinoa casserole – yummy, 100% gluten free and so easy to make. Gluten free, full of protein, pumped up with vitamins, try my healthy version of broccoli & cheddar casserole!
Some fun tricks and tips that make this casserole come out so good:
- Boil the quinoa in water just like pasta (for 12 minutes) and then drain. This keeps the quinoa moist and prevents it from drying, especially when used in a casserole.
- Use real cheddar cheese or full fat cheese. Lowfat cheeses don’t melt as nicely and can burn. Avoid very hard cheeses, like Parmesan they also tend to burn easily when baked.
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ½ medium onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- In two large pots, boil water. Once the water is boiling, put the quinoa in one and a steamer with broccoli in the other.
- While your quinoa is cooking (set a timer for 12 minutes), heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Dice ½ an onion, slice your mushrooms and add them to the butter and cook until the onions are browned. Add more butter if the pan starts browning.
- Add 1 cup cream to the onions and mushrooms, stir and remove from heat.
- When your time goes off (12 minutes), drain the quinoa, turn the heat off on the broccoli.
- Grease a medium glass baking pan with butter.
- Put the broccoli into the glass pan and chop up a bit until the pieces are no larger than 1".
- Pour the creamy onion & mushroom mix into the pan and stir.
- Add the drained quinoa and mix well with ½ cup of shredded cheddar.
- Cover the mixture with the remaining ½ cup of cheddar and bake at 250F for 10 minutes or until the top is browned.
LIKE me on Facebook for more recipes like this!
Desserts and snacks can be simple, healthy and beautiful. This easy to make strawberries and dip has only TWO ingredients! Call it strawberries and creamy dip, nobody will know the truth: it’s possibly the laziest dessert you can ever make.
It’s simple – wash you strawberries and arrange them in a circle. In the middle, 1 cup of lowfat or full fat plain yogurt – THAT’S IT! No cutting, no mixing, nothing but washing and arranging, which would be a task any toddler can do…
- Lowfat Yogurt
- Wash your strawberries.
- Arrange them on a plate.
- Put about 1 cup of lowfat or full fat plain yogurt in the middle.
- Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to provide a bowl or two for strawberry stems if guests won’t have anywhere to put the strawberry stems.
Time, time, time . . . cooking takes time and you have none, right? This recipe, I’m here to show you, is one example of how you can have a healthy side dish in less time that it takes to decide what kind of toppings you want on a pizza. It’s great for those leftover nights where the leftovers are a bit too skimpy to make a main meal. If you don’t know how to roast veggies, you’re going to learn now!
Ingredients: Whatever veggies you have.
Instructions: Cut up veggies, douse them in olive oil, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Bake for 375 or more depending on how quick you want them done and if you’re going to keep an eye on them. When they start to brown, they’re roasted! You can roast them at up to 500 degrees and still get good results, just keep in mind they can burn quicker.
10 minutes (about) in a hot oven and your healthy side dish is done!
For breakfast or for a snack, strawberry soup is a delicious treat. It’s high in vitamin C, has calcium, protein, potassium, Omega-3 and is pretty filling!
1.5 cups frozen strawberries
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 oz walnuts, sprinkle of chia & decoration
For a more ice-cream like experience, add more frozen strawberries to the mix. To reduce calories, use fat free milk, skip the banana and reduce the amount of walnuts.
- 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 banana
- 1 oz walnuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Blend the frozen strawberries, milk, flax and banana well.
- Top with walnuts & chia seeds and serve!
Ground chicken recipes aren’t easy to find and when I did find one, I didn’t like the fact that they were fried (probably dried out) and then dipped in uber-sweet peanut sauce. So, I made my own recipe for ground chicken and it was AMAZING. What else can a girl with ground up chicken thigh meat do other than get creative?
Instructions are in each photo.
Ingredients for 20 chicken burgers/meatballs:
4 lbs (2.2 kg) ground chicken thighs
1 cup fresh parsley, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup chickpea flour (or breadcrumbs)
Oil – 4 tbsp olive oil (or other cooking oil), 1 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp honey
1 cup orange juice
It’s not often that we need more calories, but lots of people do for lots of reasons. Whether you’re preparing a snack for a kid who needs to gain weight, trying to keep up with calorie requirements for pregnant or breast feeding women or trying to recover from an intense work out, healthy high calorie snacks help! You can re-make this snack with fewer calories by replacing the dried blueberries with fresh and reducing the amount of peanut butter.
- 1 Ripe banana
- 1 oz Dried (or fresh) blueberries
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Cut up the banana.
- Glob on the peanut butter.
- Sprinkle on the blueberries.